My Mind

This blog exists to chronicle the myriad ideas I have, that I will sadly never have the resources to complete. Enjoy, and do well with them. Also anyone wishing to support me in my endeavours is encouraged to visit this page to see Some Images I've produced.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Butanated Water

A concept idea for which there's no diagram because it's a simple chemistry idea. Carbonated water contains carbon dioxide and is mostly harmless. This would apply the same technique but dissolving butane in the water instead. This combination would be a steam explosive. Using a regular blasting cap would set off the butane while it's still dissolved in the water, which would flash boil the whole mix. This steam would rapidly expand and with nowhere to go but out it would flash steam everything in its effective radius. This would be most effective in a small confined space. I have actually tested this and it is possible to dissolve butane in water. You have to pump the butane in liquid form, into the water at least 30% the depth of the container you're using. I've never actually set this off however because I don't have access to blasting caps. If someone wants to try this and let me know how effective it actually is I'd love to see that.

1 comment:

  1. I did this using an aerosol butane canister and a straw. It made a homogeneous mixture similar to regular carbonated water but the bubbling sound was really cool, it sounded really sharp and 'crystal like'. I let it go until I emptied the canister and it eventually froze the water, probably due to phase change. I didn't try igniting because there was lots of gaseous and liquid butane sitting around and I didn't want to die. I really wonder if the water would catch on fire.

    ReplyDelete